Designed the theme that's running this website.
https://www.mayankmishra.me/ (What you see is what you get)
(Look above: If you paste a link with underscores the markup goes wonky)
Instead visit this unbroken link: The repository.
Tech Stack: NodeJS + Handlebars.js + HTML/CSS/JS
- Customized the default Ghost Casper theme to create a technical blog with a portfolio component.
- Utilized the Ghost Public API (still in Beta) to set internal tags for separating projects and blog posts.
Challenges & Gotchas
-> Setting up the environment. Jeez node. And the clustermuck that inevitably followed me around git.
-> Maybe because it's my first theme design, but I spent more time with bugs and errors than actually creating.
-> The get helper from the beta API doesn't work with pagination at this stage. Diagnosing the problem was a source of pain. Fortunately I finally searched the ghost slack page and lo and behold it's a known problem. The team at Ghost is working on addressing this by creating something called channels.
- Setting up the local dev environment with all the necessary dependencies. Tried doing it on my host machine, then took a detour with Docker/Vagrant. The best and frictionless setup is with Cloud9.
- Switching themes takes some time for the changes to go live in production.
- Small bugs with me goofing around with the design. Ghost has it's own quirks about menu/navigation.
- Handlebars.js templating engine; I've used it before with an Ember.js project. The linking structure makes it very intuitive and useful to work with.