An Ember.js app that connects restaurants and non-profits to mitigate food wastage in NYC.
https://github.com/InvasiveLionfish/FairFare---Ember (Client side)
https://github.com/InvasiveLionfish/emberproject-api (Rails API)
Tech Stack: Ember.js + Rails 5 + Heroku
Team: The magnificient Kevin Webster & Myself.
- Built Rails API using rails-api gem, ActiveModel Serializers & the JSON API Adapter.
- Implemented custom authorization flow using Ember Simple Auth and JSON Web Tokens.
- Implemented ActionMailer to send email notifications to donors/recipients when registering & confirming pickups
Challenges & Gotchas
-> Setting up Rails 5 API with our Ember app
-> JWT Authentication in Ember
-> Setting up a Listings page with the associated components
-> Triggering emails via Rails ActionMailer on Ember
- Not embarrassed to say that trying to get custom CSS on ember templates was a pain.
- Deployment issues with surge and heroku
- Writing CSS and learning about the z-index; Using Flexbox to design the background was also nice.
- Setting up Bootstrap and seeing the changes live was a joy;
- Learning about how to make modals and Ember play nicely together.